Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What We Like To Tell Ourselves


In my barista days, I made plenty of nonfat mochas with extra whipped cream. As a server, I've put in orders for pizza with extra cheese and bacon with a hot fudge sundae for dessert and a diet Coke to wash it down. I've heard men order fondue and steak in the same meal and say, Thank god I take Lipitor!

And now, as a bartender, I can say I did something that really, I never could have seen coming.


Saturday night was possibly the busiest night I've ever worked at the bar. From beginning to end, for at least six and a half hours straight, I was bounced from one end of the bar to the other, mixing drinks and taking orders and trying to keep clear in my mind the eighteen things I needed to be doing at every second. It was so intense that I swear the pressure I was under was making my hands shake as I poured drinks, my blood sugar plummeting and my adrenaline levels soaring.

It was way-super-crazy busy.

Anyhow, in the thick of the busyness, a woman waiting with her friends for a table watched me as as I built and shook a cocktail made from vodka, meyer lemon juice, and simple syrup.


That looks delicious! she gushed. Is it just vodka and juice? she asked.


There's also sugar in it, I said as amiably as I could while my mind frantically tried to figure out my next several moves.


Can you make one with Sweet 'n Low? she asked.


This question was enough to get me to stop everything I was doing.

Um, well, I don't know if that would work so well,
I said, feeling protective of the cocktail recipe.

Oh, I make drinks all the time with it at home, she said confidently.

Well, I said. I only have Equal.

That should have gotten me off the hook. But the woman fumbled through her purse and fished out a tiny pink packet.

Oh look! she exclaimed triumphantly. I've got some Sweet 'n Low with me!

She carried it with her? Couldn't I be tested on some night when I didn't have seven cocktails that needed to be made right at that moment, not to mention the plates that needed to be cleared, the cash that needed to be rung in to the register, the orders that needed to be put in the computer?

I was going to have to throw the game, lose the battle.

For the sake of keeping the flow of the bar going, I took the path of least resistance. It would have taken far too much effort and time for me to explain the importance of maintaining the integrity of the drink.

And at the end of the day, it was clear this woman was going to love the drink made her way; it was what she really, really wanted, and it was obvious that I was physically capable of making it for her.

I took the pink packet and, cringing on the inside, made her that cocktail.

She sipped. She swooned. She expressed pleasure and gratitude. I had made her night.

She liked it so much, in fact, that over the course of her dinner she ordered two more sugar-free concoctions, employing the servers as baffled couriers shuttling the packets of saccharin from her table to the bar.


And what did she eat for dinner? Not one but
two bowls of one of the heartiest dishes on the menu: pasta with pork sausage ragù topped with a rich dollop of whipped ricotta cheese.

If she ingested less than an entire day's calories in just her main courses alone, I would be surprised. I guess that forty calories of sugar in those cocktails would have just put her over her edge.

They almost put me over mine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!! that's all i have to say!
Kind of reminds me of high school when i worked at a fast food restaurant and SO MANY large, obviously overwieght people would order the double cheeseburger SUPER-SIZED meal with a Diet Coke. Really, diet coke? hmmm...

Emma said...

Ha ha! I have exactly that at the cinema where I work...

Burly lady at the counter: "Yes, I'll have a large popcorn, a medium, no, small Ben & Jerry's, actually, better make that a large. Can I have chocolate cows on top? A hotdog and this small bag of Pick & Mix (weighing in at 500g) and a Diet Coke please. Large."

Me: "That'll be £85 please" (& 6000 calories, but the Diet Coke will make all the difference!)

Added to this, it's 10.30 in the morning.

I wonder what she ate for breakfast? KFC?!!

I'm glad these sorts of people aren't limited to just the cinema!!

Kimberly Gallagher-Wright said...

Ma'am...I love reading your blogs... :)